Music City SAR (Sexual Attitude Reassessment and Restructuring)
Time & Location
About the Event
Nashville’s Inaugural Music City SAR (Sexual Attitude Reassessment and Restructuring)
This unique “Sexual Attitude Reassessment and Restructuring” program or “SAR” is designed and led by AASECT Certified sex therapist and educator, Renée Burwell, LCSW, CST. This training will be a 3-day intensive to achieve the goals of traditional and contemporary SAR. The Music City SAR fulfills the 10-hour requirement toward AASECT Certification and earns participants 15 CEUs*.
What to expect? What is a SAR?
SAR is a highly provocative, experiential, cognitive and affective experience, which is designed to push comfort levels, elicit feelings and confront attitudes, beliefs and values about sexuality. Presentations encompass media, (including contemporary film, television and art), along with presentations and panels of live speakers/demonstrations showing the potential range of human sexual expression today. Topics will be revealed at the course itself; the element of surprise and the psychological state of non-expectation form part of the basis for this course.
Small group process drives the understanding and impact of the elements of the presentations in this course. SAR is not a clinical training in sex or therapy nor is it traditional sex education; rather it enables the participant to move emotionally, intellectually, spiritually and psychologically into a zone of greater knowing, acceptance, and tolerance of human sexuality in all of its possible dimensions. No nudity or touch is ever required of participants.
We have an eclectic array of live speakers and demonstrations to add to your learning experience. Previous SARs have included experts on BDSM, Kink, Trans, and sacred sexuality. The SAR includes a powerful field trip to an erotic venue that is sure to create a buzz. Lunch is included for all three days.
Registration and cost
The cost is $595 for individuals; $475 for non-profits; student rate of $395. A $150 deposit is required to secure your space. Spaces are limited in our intimate setting. We are offering an early-bird discount of $100 for all participants who register before September 30, 2019. If you would like/need an invoice, we can make that available.
Tuition includes all SAR materials, lunch, your AASECT Certificate, and your entry to a field trip venue!
Cancellation Policy: All deposits are non-refundable. Any payments of tuition may be applied to future events offered by the Tennessee Alliance for Sexual Health or refunded on a case-by-case basis less a $50 cancellation fee. To obtain this option, a consultation is required with Renée or staff.
Objectives for this event: (Note: These may shift if speaker selection and availability changes)
At the end of the SAR participants will be able to:
- Discuss their values, attitudes and beliefs about a wide range of sexual expression and behaviors.
- Describe aspects of human sexual behavior and/or sexual expression that represent areas for further professional exploration.
- Distinguish between one’s own values, attitudes and beliefs and those of others.
- Utilize effectively the exposure to new or different aspects of human sexual expression in their clinical and/or sexuality educational work.
- Define specific sexual behaviors or sexual expression that represent areas that would not be relevant for working with clients or students.
- Describe elements of sexual expression or sexual behavior that are appealing for personal exploration.
- Define specific sexual behaviors or sexual expression that are not within their comfort zone.
- Discuss variants of sexual behaviors demonstrated among heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual performers in the media, and the impact it has on the participant’s attitudes and values.
- Evaluate and discuss the life experiences and presentations from a spectrum of trans persons, and the impact it has on the participant’s attitudes and values.
- Discuss factors within the area of sexuality and disability, and the impact it has on the participant’s attitudes and values.
- Define and discuss elements within the media showing adult/porn imagery and sexual behaviors, (including sexual assault/rape/drug usage and polyamory), and the impact it has on the participant’s attitudes and values.
- Describe their responses to the media showing a wide range of BDSM/kink/fetish behaviors, and the impact it has on the participant’s attitudes and values.
- Define and discuss elements within the media showing extreme body modification and fetish practices, and the impact it has on the participant’s attitudes and values.
- Recognize their responses to self-disclosure through an art activity, and the impact it has on the participant’s attitudes and values about their own sexuality.
- Define and discuss aspects of sexuality and spirituality, especially through a self-awareness activity, and the impact it has on the participant’s attitudes and values
- Identify elements that inform your ideal sexual self.
LIST OF CORE KNOWLEDGE AREAS FOR ASSECT CERTIFICATION PURPOSES
• Ethics and ethical behavior
• Socio-cultural factors (e.g. ethnicity, culture, religion, spirituality, socioeconomic status, family values) in relation to sexual values and behaviors
• Issues related to Sexual Orientation and/or Gender Identity: heterosexuality, issues and themes impacting lesbian, gay, bisexual, pansexual, asexual people, gender identity and expression
• Intimacy skills (e.g., social, emotional, sexual), intimate relationships, interpersonal, relationship and family dynamics
• Diversities in sexual expression and lifestyles, including but not limited to Polyamory, swinging, BDSM, Tantra
• Health/medical factors that may influence sexuality including, but not limited to illness, disability, drugs, mental health, conception, pregnancy, childbirth & pregnancy termination, contraception, fertility, HIV/AIDS, sexually transmitted infection, other infections, sexual trauma, injury, and safer sex practices
• Pleasure enhancement skills
• Professional communication and personal reflection skills
*This program meets the requirements for the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapists (AASECT) and is approved for 15 CE credits. Completion of this program does not ensure or guarantee AASECT Certification. For further information please contact email@example.com.
Please read our grievance procedure regarding CE's here (at the bottom of the page)
If earlier action steps fail to resolve the problem AASECT should be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deposit to secure space$150$1500$0
- Early Bird (Before 9/30)$495$4950$0
- Early Bird (Vegetarian)$495$4950$0
- Student Early Bird$295$2950$0
- Student Early Bird (Veg)$295$2950$0
- Non-Profit Early Bird$375$3750$0
- Non-Profit Early Bird (Veg)$375$3750$0
- Regular Registration$595$5950$0